Coaching with Multiply Vineyard
Multiply Vineyard is committed to coming alongside sending pastors and church planters to offer support, accountability and encouragement throughout the process of releasing and planting a church. Since we’ve begun, we have developed a group of certified coaches who are trained to do just that—support, encourage and provide accountability to our pastors and church planters.
Any growing movement needs more connection so leaders feel cared for, invested in, and not alone in what they are doing. I think coaching can bring our movement together, in addition to making us more fruitful.
– Tom Camacho, Multiply Vineyard Coaching Coordinator
What is coaching?
Coaching is the process of coming alongside someone to help them get clarity and confidence in addressing life’s challenges. Coaching is not about telling people what to do, but is more about listening well and asking insightful questions. In cooperation with the Holy Spirit, coaching can help a person or team sort out where they are, identify obstacles, set goals for the future, discover where God wants them to go, and then help determine how to best get them there.
The coaches we’ve trained have been certified in missional coaching from a well researched and time-tested proven method. The coaches are specifically trained to come along side the planter and:
- Relate – establish coaching relationship and agenda
- Reflect – discover and explore key issues
- Refocus – determine priorities and action steps
- Resource – provide support and encouragement
- Review – evaluate, celebrate, and review plans
We value all of the relationships that planters have developed with other pastors and leaders throughout their ministry experience. We’d like to offer another opportunity for planters to be poured into by one of our trained coaches. We believe that all of the support and relationships are valuable, however, this model of coaching offers something different.
What happens in a coaching session?
A coaching session is usually preceded by some emailed questions helping define what topic or challenge you would like to discuss. The session lasts 30 minutes to an hour and your coach will help you get clarity on your topic by listening and asking insightful questions. By the end of your session, your coach will help you focus on 2-3 concrete action steps you can take to move forward toward your goals and desires.
Who can get a coach?
- Church planters are offered free coaching for up to 2 years after they have been released as a church by Vineyard USA.
- Pastors who have committed to multiply their church can sign up to receive 6 months of monthly coaching sessions at any time.
- Vineyard Missions provides six months of monthly coaching sessions for those who are working cross culturally (partnership leaders). We also provide coaching for full time cross culture workers (missionaries).
Healthy Church Development
- The Healthy Church Development team will provide 6 months of monthly coaching sessions to any Vineyard pastor/staff of an established church who wants to increase his or her effectiveness, address growth barriers, etc.
How do I become a coach?
The training process for becoming a certified coach in the Vineyard consists of attending a 3 day orientation training followed by 6-9 months of practicum training. After the practicum training, you will take an assessment that will determine your readiness to become an effective coach. Once trained, we ask that you commit to coaching 2 planters or pastors each month.
Tom Camacho is currently serving as the Coaching Coordinator for Multiply Vineyard. He is also the Senior Pastor of Blue Ridge Vineyard, a church he planted in 2010 with his wife, Beth, in Asheville, NC. Tom and Beth have been a part of planting four churches, twice as senior leaders. Tom came into the Vineyard movement in 1991 as a worship leader when he helped plant a Vineyard church in Wilmington, NC. Tom loves being a part of the Vineyard family, and believes deeply in our Vineyard values. He also has served as an Area Pastoral Coordinator in the Mid Atlantic Region.
Tom loves mountains, worship, being outside, and great coffee. He served as a helicopter pilot in the US Army, and in leadership development with General Electric before coming into the Vineyard. His passion is helping and encouraging leaders become all they were created to be for the kingdom of God. Tom and Beth have four beautiful kids, a lovely daughter-in-law, and one amazing grandson.
The Empowering Leadership Course
The Empowering Leadership Course is designed to help local church leaders multiply their influence, grow their churches and ministries, and reduce their stress by empowering the people and leaders around them using a few simple, powerful tools. After attendees are invited to join Tom and Beth Camacho in a 6 month online Learning Community to further discuss principles and leadership resources after the 3-day course.
This course is helpful for those at all levels of leadership (small group leader, ministry team leader, associate pastor, senior pastor).
“Last week my wife and I went to the Empowering Leadership Course put on by Tom Camacho. It was truly the most helpful training I have ever received in the Vineyard – no kidding! Tom did an outstanding job presenting the material, and he dropped a lot of leadership nuggets along the way.” Kevin Beck, VCC in Fort Smith, AR
At the Empowering Leaders Course you will:
- Be introduced to an empowering, multiplying leadership style.
- Be given hands on practical experience in how to be this kind of leader.
- Be given tools to take back to your local context and use right away.
- Be shown how empowering leadership can reduce your stress and release others to flourish.
Barnabas Coach Training System
The Barnabas Coach Training (BCT) system was developed by Bob Logan and Dave DeVries as a tool to train leaders and pastors to become coaches within their ministry. Helping others learn to use their gifts and find their calling is a vital part of leadership within the church. The BCT system will teach you how to serve as an encourager to those around you, helping to empower them in their lives and ministries.
In this easy-to-use training, Bob and Dave guide participants along in six training sessions delivered via Vimeo with a course manual for each participant. Dave and Bob have made if very simple to use—anyone can lead the training. Each of the six sessions focus on a different aspect of coaching.
- The Coaching Experience: An introduction to coaching and the coaching process
- Discovery Listening: Learn and practice essential listening skills
- Powerful Questions: Learn and practice skills for asking good questions
- Creating Awareness: Help those you coach reflect on their options
- Designing Actions: Help those you coach develop clear plans for moving forward with their goals.
- Moving Forward: Help those you coach stay on track
Multiply Vineyard has purchased a license for the BCT system as an additional resource to Vineyard pastors as they identify, recruit and train new leaders, disciples and church planters. This material is free to all Vineyard churches (normally $500), the only cost is $25/participant guide.
If you’d like access to these resources, please email Katelyn.
- Coaching 101, Bob Logan
- The Coach Model, Keith Webb
- Becoming Barnabas, Bob Logan & Tara Miller
- TransforMissional Coaching, Steve Ogne & Tim Roehl